How to Avoid Fire Caused by Faulty Electrical Wiring

11/6/2014 3:00:00 PM

electrical wiring in home

Many households use several appliances at the same time, especially during the evening. Family members have different activities: watching television in the living room, browsing the internet in bedrooms, and listening to the radio while baking in the kitchen.

One of the common causes of fire is faulty electrical wiring. How many times should you inspect the electrical wiring in your home? Monthly inspection is ideal.

To help prevent house fires, switch off the main source of power supply when going away for long periods of time.

10 tips to prevent fires and keep both your family and home safe from this emergency situation:

  1. Call a professional electrician to check the fuse box or breaker panel. Ask the electrician to correct any damaged components.
  2. Have the electrician also inspect the wiring. Replace any old wiring if the electrician suggests you to do so and have him wrap any damaged portions of wiring with electrical tape temporarily.
  3. Check for broken plugs or switches.
  4. Do not overload any circuits. Limit the amount of appliances you use and plug only into an appropriate outlet.
  5. Avoid ‘octopus’ connections, do not overload plugs..
  6. Unplug appliances when not in use.
  7. Use high quality and high standard electrical products when replacing wires or other components.
  8. Do not use damaged appliances.
  9. Install smoke and carbon dioxide alarms where required.
  10. Do not plug too many appliances into one extension cord. Use only high quality approved extension cords that can handle the load.

If you need professional help for property restoration, First General is at your service 24/7.